Thursday, May 29, 2014

Day 18 - Scot's Execellent Adventure and I'll share

Well, one more adventure in driving on the wrong side of the road.  It was the taxi driver this time.  He had no idea where the rental depot was.  I told him how to get to the rental car depot.  Not with some Google Maps app.  By paying attention yesterday when I walked down Hay Street to catch the bus for the ferry to Rottnest Island.  The good old fashioned way.  In a city I had been in for all of 34 hours to that point.  And I didn't do too bad if I say so myself, if you ignore the fact that I told him to go the wrong way down a one way street.  But he did know that and just went one street over.  By working together, we got there.  Now that's teamwork.

But I was driving solo to get to a place some 300 kilometers away that I had never been to before.  My travel book said the route to the Margaret River was well marked and would be easy to follow.  Plus, I had written directions of how to get there.  Sort of.  Besides, the GPS sent us to a skateboard park when we went to the Blue Mountains last week.  Being the intrepid traveler that I think I am,  having conquered helping my taxi driver go all of 3 kilometers from my hotel to a rental depot, and being a pretty good map reader if I say so myself, I asked for a map and eschewed the GPS.

It was really easy to get on the freeway and go south.  Feeling good in the southwest Aussie neighborhood.  But there was a little issue with the Safety Bay Road exit I was supposed to take.  And I read these directions twice and wrote all of the turnoffs down.  Your honor, the directions said to take Kwinana Freeway all the way down to the end of the freeway which becomes Safety Bay Road.  That's the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

Problem is, my trusty map from Budget Rent a Car shows that the freeway goes, oh, about God knows how many kilometers farther.  So, I take the left that I am told to take per the directions and find myself in horse farm country.  Beautiful country.  But I know I am going the wrong way, and much like the Great Ocean Road adventure, there isn't any place to turn around for a good 5 kilometers.  Got turned around without almost causing an accident, good thing this country is sparsely populated.  Now, the decision is whether to go right and go on the highway that is not the right number, or get back on the freeway that hasn't ended and see if there is a second Safety Bay Road.  I decided to take the freeway.  And I am going to Mandurah, which is what I pass through on the way to the Margaret River.  I am not going to miss out on the Old Coast Road like we missed out on the Great Ocean Road.  I agree with the late Charles Kurault, he of the On the Road series for CBS, when talking about the interstate highway system in the US, said, "Thanks to the interstate highway system, it is now possible to drive from Maine to California and not see anything."  I got off the freeway at the first available exit, turned back on the freeway and went north back to the Safety Bay Road exit and see the sign at the end of the exit ramp that says, "End of the Freeway".

Oh.

I assume it was on the exit ramp going south and I missed it, since I was reading two different sets of directions and a map.  Talk about distracted driving.

On the Safety Bay Road and getting to go through various towns on the Old Coast Road.  I did get to see a lot.  And, a lot more than I would have seen on the freeway.  But it had about as much coast in the Old Coast Road as as we had ocean in the Great Ocean Road had between Apollo Bay and the Twelve (admit it people of Australia, there are really 8) Apostles.  Did see a glimpse of the ocean once, though.

250 kilometers to get to Margaret River.  The directions were true, my senses keen and I got to Margaret River after driving through beautiful countryside.  And dozens of wineries.  And I haven't even gotten to the Margaret River area where they list eighty-six wineries and seven breweries in the area.  It would take you three months to drink your way through that area.  If you respect your liver.

As I approach Margaret River, it is evident that the directions I have do not contemplate me going to my destination, just to Margaret River.  And my map from Budget is of absolutely no use.  Margaret River is a pretty little town, that has the i Center in the heart of town right next to what looks like the newest IGA in Australia.  10 minutes later with a new, more detailed map in hand, I am on the way to Cape Lodge.

Cape Lodge is set in the countryside, situated a little closer to Cape Naturaliste between Cape Naturaliste and Cape Leeuwin.  Cape Leeuwin is the point where the Indian Ocean meets the Southern Ocean.  The property is 40 acres, with a winery, a fine restaurant.  I'll take pictures and post them tomorrow.

Because after I checked in, it was time to go see something.  Drove by a brewery down Caves Road.  Had a taste of the local brew, the dark beer (very good), and my new favorite carbonated beverage, cider.

Moses Rock

Then on to Moses Rock Road to Moses Rock.  I had the beach to myself for the hour and a half before sundown.  Those are my footprints.


And only mine.


The sand was cold.  I stepped in the Indian Ocean (I came 14,000 miles after all, and I wasn't going to stop now) and warmed my feet.

There are 7 billion people in the world, plus or minus a few million.  I was the only one in the world who got to see this in person today.  I'm feeling pretty special.  It was my beach and my beach only for that hour and a half.  You should be so lucky.  Glad to share pictures.  No worries.



















Sea shells by the sea shore.  Just leave them be.

Now for the panoramic photos.  Still a work in progress for me, though I am getting the hang of it.  Or at least I think so.





Driving back to Cape Lodge on Moses Rock Road, there was a kangaroo waiting by the side of the road, as if to say to me, it's time to go home.  I slowed down and she hopped across the road, jumped the fence, and was gone.

Dinner at the Cape Lodge restaurant was outstanding.  They claim it is world class and there is absolutely nothing that I could say to argue with them.  The hostess asked me about my day.  I told her about Moses Rock.  She said it was one of the great things about this area - sometimes you get a beautiful beach all to yourself, even in the summer.

The server was a young woman from Iowa, Bailey.  She loves it here.  I've been here all of eight hours now.  But I know why she does.

There is a Cape Walk Trailway from Cape Naturaliste to Cape Leeuwin.  If I had the time, I would walk every inch of it.  I'll see what I can do tomorrow.

Cheers from Moses Rock and the Margaret River area.

No comments:

Post a Comment