Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Day 16 - Up in the Air

Day 16 - Up in the Air

Palya.

I'll let you Google that.  No, I won't.  It's an all purpose aboriginal word the Anangu's use, and commonly used as a welcome greeting.

Up early this morning and it's clear.  Time to see what so many others come here to see, and what I intended to yesterday, anyway.  So, on to Imalong (way from home) Lookout by my hotel.

In the words of the late, great, and if any member of the Beatles could have possibly been under-appreciated for his incredible talent, it was him, George Harrison (with my apologies for the parenthetical):

Here comes the sun,

here comes the sun


and I say, it's all right


Little darling, it's been a long, cold lonely winter
Little darling, it feels like years (about 400 million) since it's been here

Here comes to the sun...


Here comes the sun...


And I say, it's all right.





Moving.  Almost as good as Apollo Bay.  Just missing my travel partner.

Now, a word about Bircher's Museli.  Deloosh.

It is made of really good stuff where I have been eating it.  Good as in good tasting.  Which means there are about 8,000 more calories in the Bircher Museli I have been eating than this recipe I found at the TESCO realfood website, whatever that is.

  • 250g (8oz) Everyday Value oats (don't ask me what those are, I just Googled it, I assume it is something TESCO sells, given how they wore out the references to Everyday Value in the recipe)
  • 50g (2oz) raisins
  • 50g (2oz) dried apricots, chopped
  • 60g (2½oz) flaked almonds
  • 2 eating Everyday Value apples, grated
  • 600ml (1pint) Everyday Value Skimmed milk
  • 100ml (3½fl oz) Everyday Value orange juice
  • juice of ½ Everyday Value lemon
  • 150g (5 oz) Everyday Value natural yogurt
  • fresh berries, and emphasis on fresh, to serve.
  • And there was some coconut in the ones I have been sampling and I can guarantee you that skimmed milk wasn't within 15 feet of the batch being made in the kitchens that were serving it to me.
And, I had a serving of it this morning at the hotel.  And, seeing the serving size, I now understand that the Bircher's Museli I served myself four times in Sydney and once in the Blue Mountains is about 4 to 17 times more than what you should serve yourself at any one day or quite possibly any one week.  Or month.  The deloosh factor outweighs the calorie count.  And now I outweigh what I did when I got here, most likely.  Oops.

On the way to Kata Kjunta.  This isn't necessarily the best way, but it will have to do.
Our pilot was they guy who sold me on the trip yesterday.  In a community of 1,000, if that many, you have to wear many different hats.


Not the pilot.  He took my picture, too.

I took a bad video approaching Uluru.  Bad, as in I am a bad videographer.  I can send it to anyone who may be interested.  We go over the hotel complex where I stayed.  And the campsite where Prince William and Catherine stayed several weeks ago.  The Royals were roughing it.  Somehow, I doubt that.

Last view over Uluru.  Interesting how it changes.


And Kata Kjuta.







Okay, that one wasn't as good as the one for Uluru.

They are about 12 kilometers apart, and, while the desert terrain is quite green and abundant here, it's not like you can't look over the horizon, like we all did last night.  But the guy who discovered Kata Kjuta originally got bogged down in the soft, salt beds and never got around the other side of Kata Kjuta. The area of what comprises Kata Kjuta dwarfs the area of Uluru.  Just some of it has already eroded and is covered by land, like four of the Twelve Apostles.

Uluru does not translate into anything.  It's just the name of the rock.  Kata Kjuta translates into many heads.  And not just Homer Simpson's.

No direct flights to Perth today.  One to Alice Springs, one to Cairns, and two to Sydney.  Back to Sydney to then go across the country to Perth.  I am interested to see the culture in Perth.  It is closer in distance to parts of Southeast Asia than it is to any of the major metropolitan areas in the country.

Not much else going on today other than spending a lot of time in the air.  By the end of the day, I will be halfway around the world from all the the people I know and love.  But, unlike Mrs. Macquarie (more on her later), I can pick up the smart phone and call, email or text whoever I want.  So, no need for a ledge for me to pine for home, just find me something, a camel, a helicopter, a boat,  whatever, to ride while I am here.

Cheers from Perth!

No comments:

Post a Comment